Please excuse my dust. My site will be moving to WordPress over the next few days.

Saturday, October 8, 2011

World #Arthritis Day -- Oct. 12, Hits Close to Home

As many of you may know, I have been waiting for a diagnosis for the condition I've been in for quite a while. All of the symptoms point toward Rheumatoid Arthritis. On Tuesday, Oct. 11, I will head over to the Rheumatologist to get tests started and find out what's happening with my body.



Ironically enough, Wednesday, Oct. 12 is World Arthritis Day. Striking one in every five adults and 300,000 children, arthritis is the nation's leading cause of disability. Before I started having symptoms, I took for granted my good health and flexible joints. I did not notice all of those suffering from chronic pain, whether arthritis or other chronic illness. There are organizations to help, like the Arthritis Foundation, but they need more support to help raise awareness and reduce the impact of this disease.

That's why I was so excited to learn about Massage Envy's Healing Hands for Arthritis, a one-day national event to build awareness and raise funds to fight arthritis. On World Arthritis Day, October 12, 2011, Massage Envy will donate $10 from every one-hour massage and facial to the Arthritis Foundation. Prices range from $39 - $69 for facials and massages depending on location.

I am lucky enough that Massage Envy is going to give me my first session for free, and I am hoping it will help with the pain I feel. Reading their Facebook page gives me hope that it will. Here are a couple of stories from other arthritis sufferers who use Massage Envy to help alleviate their pain:

Jill English feels like a different person each time she has massage therapy. She goes to Massage Envy Spa South 360 in Grand Prairie monthly, with the occasional extra visit. She has used massage to help with the pain of arthritis in her thumb for less than a year.


Although Jill had been getting massages prior to that, she didn’t like anyone ...touching her thumb. The pain was such that she couldn’t hold or grip items. “The weight of a t-shirt on my hand from folding laundry was painful.” She wore a brace and took pain medication. The massage therapist talked to her about giving it a try.

After 5 minutes of very gentle massage, the pain was “50% better,” Jill says. “It was amazing.” Another three sessions and Jill states she was almost back to normal. She has been brace- and medication-free since. Her monthly visits to Massage Envy are more to maintain.

“It’s a lifestyle issue,” states Pam Knies, referring to managing her arthritis. Simple, everyday activities aggravate and cause pain. “Driving is the worst, but even pulling weeds is a problem,” she says.


Pam was diagnosed with arthritis about 1½ years ago but has had pain for about 10 years. She has been going to Massage Envy for massage therap...y 1 to 2 times a week for the last year. “I have a really bad back, and massage keeps me from taking medication.” Eventually she will need to have surgery, but massage allows her to manage the pain until then.

She understands that not everyone likes to be touched. But, “I tell everyone I know how good massage makes me feel,” says Pam. “It’s affordable, and anyone who has known me awhile can see the difference.”

If you'd like to know what you can do to help, book an appointment with Massage Envy today facial or massage. You'll feel better  for your own sake and help others when you get a massage or facial on October 12. Also, Murad®, Massage Envy Spa's exclusive skin care partner, will donate 10 percent of all sales from their products sold at Massage Envy Spa locations during the event to the Arthritis Foundation. Wyndmere, Massage Envy's retail partner at all locations, will also donate 10% of all their retail sales on event day.


I will receive a massage session from Massage Envy, but the opinions expressed within are 100% mine.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...