Please excuse my dust. My site will be moving to WordPress over the next few days.

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Sunday Reflections: Pain in the Night

Psalm 30:5  For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning. 



The song, Your Love Never Fails by Jesus Culture says "pain" instead of weeping (though almost every translation I've seen says weeping). I think the general gist of the verse is that there is pain, sorrow, trials, trouble, etc. in this short life, but we will begin a new day with God in Heaven where there will be unending joy.

As some of you know, I have been suffering with a joint pain and tiredness for about a year. It seems to be Rheumatoid Arthritis, but I don't have a definitive diagnosis yet. This past week has been especially tough--lots of pain, and my blood work came back "normal," so I'm at the "now what?" stage.

My youngest son said to me the other day, "Mommy, maybe God wants you to be in pain." Wow. I responded that God never wants us to feel pain, but that he was right, sometimes God wants to teach us something, or there is some good that will come out of the pain--like the metaphor of refining gold by fire. And sometimes we go through pain because we live in a fallen world that's no longer perfect like Eden was.

It got me thinking--is God trying to speak to me through this pain and I'm not listening? I've been praying harder since that conversation and trying to figure out where I need to go from here. I have been feeling for a while that my nutrition has something to do with how I'm feeling--I haven't been eating as well as I used to. For a while, I wasn't vegetarian (I believe God gives us everything--plants and animals--to eat, in moderation), but I ate a LOT more vegetables (like 10+ servings a day). I drank a lot more water and didn't drink as much tea or soda.

So, I'm praying more, listening for God more, and trying to get back to eating healthy to see if it helps my physical pain. I'll let you know how it's going. I would appreciate all prayers to help me see what God wants of me and for me to be obedient in this situation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...