Please excuse my dust. My site will be moving to WordPress over the next few days.

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Guest Post: Would It Be All That You Need?

I'm busy getting ready for JBF (Just Between Friends), so Lindy of FrugalFriendsNetwork.com was kind enough to send me this post for y'all. I hope you enjoy it; I did. -- Jenny

Would It Be All That You Need?

Last night as I was taking a final look at facebook, I came across a viral post that caught my attention. Normally, I just skim by these re-posts, barely glancing at them. Perhaps it was the blue background surrounding this one that made me read it, or the name of the sender or the fact that it had received a lot of comments, but I think it was a little something more.

As I laid my head down on the pillow to go to sleep, the message was on my mind and when I woke up this morning it was one of the first things I thought about. The message was just simply...”What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?”

As someone who prays first thing in the morning and last thing at night, and oftentimes in-between, I know I can confidently answer that my family and my home would still be with me. I always thank God for these things, but otherwise I tend to be more general in my thanksgiving (“thank you for all of my many blessings”). I wonder just what God would consider to be my blessings?



Would it be my car, my computer and my flat-screen LCD TV? How about my new sofa, my cell phone and the water fountain on my deck that I love to sit and listen to? Would it really matter? I grew up in a home with a single mother and very few luxury items. Being frugal is something that I learned early on and it has stuck with me over the years - for that I am very grateful. As a reader of Jenny’s blog, you probably fall into the “frugal” category yourself either by nature or by the circumstances of our current economic times. I think that being so keeps me better focused on what is really important for my happiness. It actually brings me pleasure knowing that I can be happy with a modest home, a husband who loves me, a child whom I adore and 2 doggies from the pound who like to give sloppy, wet kisses.

Being frugal is not only a way of spending money and living on what you have. I believe it is also a mindset of being happy in spite of what you can’t spend and what you don’t have. If you had asked me as a child, I would have stated that my home and my family are all that I need and you know what? I think know that I can still say that today.:)

So what would you wake up with and would it be all that you need?


Bio – Lindy Pope is first and foremost a child of God. She just celebrated her 21st anniversary with her wonderful husband, Doug, and has one 8-year old son, Nathan. She loves to blog about spending money responsibly at FrugalFriendsNetwork.com, loves to garden and cook and is totally devoted to making her home the happy place that it should be.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...