Please excuse my dust. My site will be moving to WordPress over the next few days.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Cheap Meals that are Good for You: Eggplant Lasagna

Second in my series of recipes on the cheap is one of my favorites, Eggplant Lasagna. This is only cheap when eggplant is on sale.


Eggplant Lasagna




2 Whole Eggplants, sliced into 1/4" thick slices (2/$4)
1 Clove Garlic, diced (cost negligible)
1 Bell Pepper, diced ($0.99)
2 Carrots, chopped ($0.10)
1 Zucchini, chopped ($1.00)
1 Can of Diced Tomatoes, drained ($0.50)
1 Tbsp Italian Herb mix (cost negligible, if you don't have this mix, add oregano, parsley, rosemary, and basil instead)
I Jar Pasta Sauce (I used Classico with 3 Cheeses, on sale of 2/$4, with coupon -- $1.00)
1 16 oz Cottage Cheese ($1.00, on sale with coupon)
1 Cup Shredded Cheese ($1.00 on sale with coupon, only used half -- $0.50)
Total cost: $9.00


This is a little more expensive than the last meal, but it is very healthy, especially if you use non-fat cottage cheese and low-fat shredded cheese. It also is enough for our family to have two meals, so it's really $4.50 per meal.


Turn the over on to broil. Lay the eggplant slices on a cooking sheet and spray with cooking spray. Broil for 2-4 minutes, until tender. While eggplant roasts, saute all of the other vegetables in a pan. When I saute, I heat a tablespoon of water to boiling in the pan before adding the vegetables. Saute until crisp-tender. Pour the vegetables into a bowl with the can of diced tomatoes. Take out the eggplant and turn the over to 350 degrees. Spray an 9x13 cooking dish with cooking spray. Place a layer of eggplant slices on the bottom of the pan. Add half of the vegetable mixture, then half of the cottage cheese, half of the pasta sauce, then repeat the layers one more time. If you still have eggplant (I did), place a layer on top, with a little more sauce and the shredded cheese. Place in the oven, covered with foil, for 45 minutes. Allow to cool, slice, and serve.


If you have a recipe you like to make on the cheap, please feel free to let me know in the comments below, or email me at fullcartfullwallet@gmail.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage you to post comments below. I love hearing from you--did the deal work? Have you found something new? Having problems? Found a new coupon? Give me a shout-out! And don't forget to follow, I love following back!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...